Thursday, 3 March 2016

Multiple Meaning Words - Ideas for Teaching


An orange (noun) is a fruit and orange (adjective) is a color. Therefore, the word orange, is a multiple meaning word (MMW) because as the definition would state, both words have the same spelling and pronunciation, but different meanings. An example of it being used (twice) in a sentence is: The girl with orange hair is eating a juicy orange. Teaching this topic would require pictures to depict each meaning, then this could be followed by having the words used in sentences for context. I particularly like to challenge my older classes to make a sentence with a MMW being used twice for both meanings to be represented. I'd also get them to figure out the part of speech that each meaning represents. This is generally a fun topic to teach. Multiple Meaning Words lend themselves to a variety of activities.For my classroom word wall, I decided to go with an orange background since the word orange itself is a multiple meaning word. (Green is also another option - it's a color and it means 'not yet ripe'). Personally for me, I'd use the orange in the Fall and use the green in the Spring season. I actually made more word wall cards than you see below in the picture. I will switch them out as soon as my students are well acquainted with these. You can choose to only use the cards in batches - that fit into a common theme.  


How do you like my definition sentence strip at the top? For you own classroom, you may be interested in these resources for teaching about multiple meaning words:

Multiple Meaning Words Memory Game - matching activity
Multiple Meaning Words - Word Wall (see the pictures above)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!