Sunday, 13 April 2014

Using a Reading Tree to Encourage Reading and Book Reports

Reading-tree

Our library has started a reading tree to get the kids excited about reading the books from cover to cover. On the tree is a reward system of leaves, flowers, and fruits. The goal for the children, is to get their names on a many leaves, flowers and fruits as they can by reading. For each book that is read, the child has to fill out a form to answer a basic set of questions like: What is the title of the book? Who is the author of the book? Who are the characters in the story? What was your favorite part of the story? What did you love or hate about the story? These questions can be modified for different genres of books and for different reading levels of the students but you get the idea. I hope that this post can interest you in Using a Reading Tree to Encourage Reading and Book Reports.

The reward system is simple. For reading three books, students get to have their name printed on a leaf of the reading tree. For six books; a flower, and for ten books; a fruit. This tree is made from twisted up sheets of brown paper and hand-drawn cut-outs. Now here in Trinidad and Tobago we have Summer all year, but for those of you who have the four seasons, there are customisable tree templates that I found on Amazon that can work for you. To your large tree, you can add accents such as apples, acorns, flowers, bees, owls, snowflakes, and autumn leaves too.

Take a look at some close-up pictures:
Using a Reading Tree 

Using a Reading Tree to Encourage Reading and Book Reports
The birds are a cute addition, aren't they?

If you need some free templates of book reports for any book, check out the list below from TpT. 
Free Book Report Writing Grades 2-5

2 comments:

Kara Jones said...

I love this! I have a silly question...did you twist several different sheets of paper to complete the trunk?

Teacher Nyla said...

Yes Kara, they used several large sheets, bunched up each then twisted them.

About Me

My photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!