Sunday, 7 April 2013

Shades of meaning for the verb 'Say'

tired-words
There are many words we can use in place of the words 'say' and 'said' which would be more suitable in some sentences than others. It’s all about using the right word in the right place. These words are: explain, grumble, answer, mutter, plead, reply, shout, ask, exclaim, cry, drawl, sputter, stammer and whisper.

I created a bulletin board set and a card game to introduce my students to these new words. It fulfills the CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.2.5b which is for students to distinguish shades of meaning among closely related verbs (second grade standard).

Shades of meaning for the verb 'said'

The set includes:
- illustrated vocabulary matching cards which come with a complementary storage box.
tired word said

net-of-a-box-cube-cuboid

- a bulletin board poster set to brighten up your walls. It creatively displays the new vocabulary words in colors of your choice. (See picture at the top of this post)

- an illustrated word wall
word-wall

If you are in need of something like this you can preview it here by clicking on the orange 'Download Preview' button on the page.

1 comment:

amber said...

Great activity! I spend quite a bit of time making sure my fourth graders know how to revise their writing with "say" substitutions, and word walls have helped them find better words. The illustrated words are a great idea for the younger kids.

About Me

My photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!