Saturday, 27 October 2012

The Many Ways of Defining the term 'Perimeter'?

The Many Ways of Defining the term 'Perimeter'?

Perimeter is a wonderful and easy topic to teach. Many teachers have slightly different definitions for the word perimeter. Most teachers would say that the perimeter is the distance around an object. I think that depending on the class level, this definition is too vague and can even be misleading.

The distance around an object or shape can be interpreted as a measure of the space just beyond the edges of the shape as seen in the picture below (which is wrong). Yikes! 

What is Perimeter

I prefer to use this definition: The perimeter of a shape is the total distance along its edges. It is a definition that is much more precise students in grades 3 and over often realize this rule for themselves through hands on activities.

What is Perimeter

I found these wonderful listing of books from Amazon that can be used to supplement the teaching of perimeter.
Teaching about Perimeter

Teaching about Perimeter with books 

And check out this cute little game!
Area and Perimeter Games

You may also be interested in my Unit Plan for Area and Perimeter of Squares and Rectangles available at TpT and Teachers Notebook. And I was wondering, are there any other definitions out there for perimeter?
Lesson plans for Area and Perimetre

8 comments:

Sandy Shaw said...

I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future.
ISDN Configuration

david Rice said...

Thank you so much for writing a lot of this good information! I am looking forward to reading more.

Dissertation Writing

Advin sam said...

I have found this article very exciting. Do you have any others on this topic? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your writing style. Thanks
Online Shopping in Karachi

alex said...

very nice blog to read and to get inform i like it very much and impressed from it you know that you are so beautiful about your work so keep it up
Custom Writing

Tom Brian said...

I love it your ideas are great. Nice one good job..
Airport Taxi

Tina brian said...

Awesome post this post realy helped me at my point of confusion realy thanx for sharing thums up keep it up ;) !!!
Billy Bishop Airport
YTZ Airport
Taxi to Billy Bishop Airport

Tina brian said...

Awesome post this one realy helped me at my point of confusion :) Realy thanx alot for sharing :) Keep it up ;)
Billy Bishop Airport
YTZ Airport
Taxi to Billy Bishop Airport

Tina brian said...

Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)
Cereb

About Me

My Photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!