Monday, 10 October 2011

A tribute to Classic English Language Texts


          

Have you ever used this text? - The Student's Companion... ??? My mother has a very old version in her library that she used as a child growing up even into her teens. I remember using that very same book when I was an eight year old primary school student (in the standard - three grade I think it was). Ah... memories! I've always been a junkie for odd facts or any insightful general knowledge. This book, to me, had it all. We used both the Caribbean and the International Version.

We still use The Students Companion in the Primary Schools here but of course they are the new versions - with illustrations and tiered levels for the different age categories.

 Other classic English Text Books that I grew up on are (I can only remember the names but I'm sure that there are new versions of these now): 
  • A First Aid in English
  • A Basic English Course
What are your favorite vintage texts? I'd be thrilled if you can share them as a comment (below)!


1 comment:

Tools For English said...

On this website you can find a variety of tools that can help you prepare English language exercises within minutes. And its all FREE! COPY/PASTE or write the text you want to use in to our generators. Tools for english language

About Me

My Photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!