Saturday, 12 November 2011

Whoah! Teaching without an Assistant...


This term I've been given the privilege of having a class all for myself. We usually have two teachers to a class but one is on maternity leave and my teaching partner has taken her place.  I'm enjoying my new class, bonding with my students and their parents. The only catch is that time is really flying!

I've never seen a school term fly by so quickly, it's almost gone. We have only two more weeks of teaching time, then we'll have a  revision week, followed by what we call the 'Christmas End of Term Test'.  I realize that every teacher really needs an assistant because even though I'm getting things done, there's always more to do. I'm correcting papers, books, and homework in the morning, during break time, lunch time and especially after school. So, I want all of the teacher aids and assistant teachers out there to know that you are so very much needed and appreciated!

4 comments:

Cat said...

Lucky, here in Australia there is no such thing as assistant teachers and with one teacher per thirty kids, all break times are taken up with planning and marking!

Jason Whitaker said...

Never had a TA in the upper graders. In Kindergarten we have them, but 1st has to share one and 2nd -4th don't at all. You'll do just fine. Keep going over the rules, procedures and expectations on a regular basis and the kids will begin get into a grove.

Teacher Nyla said...

Thank you for the encouragement. We sure are amazing multitaskers! Teaching has definitely made me into a much stronger person. :)

Ruth said...

We have paraprofessionals who are with special ed kids who come to our rooms when the spec ed kids are there. Some of them are one-to-one paras assigned to follow one spec ed child all day as per IEP. I've always had assistants in my room because of that.

About Me

My Photo
As a Caribbean primary school teacher, I share my unique classroom with the world through this blog. Readers step into my class through the pictures, articles and classroom samples of games and lessons used in my class. I have been teaching since 2005 at the std. 4 primary level in Trinidad and Tobago. I am particularly interested in sharing my own personal lesson plans, tests and activities. Teachers need to share ideas and support each other because in doing so, we help to educate our students and develop ourselves as teachers. Technology is ever evolving and we as teachers should get on board with it, collaborate and keep up to date with this new age that we live in. Our students belong to this technological era and we must embrace opportunities to learn from each other in this global community. I also love to express my creativity in the classroom. I am a bit of a craftster . So I'm always cutting, gluing or making something... a game, a chart, a learning center, etc. So, teachers and parents, feel free to stop by and see what's new at Nyla's Crafty Teaching!